Former unified world champion Tyson Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) expects to be tested when he faces German heavyweight contender Tom Schwarz on June 15, at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
For Fury, 29-years-old, the contest will be the first fight of his lucrative co-promotional deal with Top Rank and ESPN.
“I’m very fit, very ready; I can’t wait to fight,” Fury said to BBC. “Schwarz is unbeaten, young, fresh and ambitious.”
Schwarz (24-0, 18 KOs), 24-years-old, is ranked at number two in the world with the WBO.
Schwarz is largely untested and most observers do not expect him to provide Fury with a stiff test.
“When you start as a little kid, you dream of cracking America,” said Fury.
“I am going to go back and be on the biggest possible audience.”
The contest will be Fury’s second contest in a row on United States soil. Fury had previously fought in New York City a few years ago, but had never seen action in Las Vegas.
He last saw action in December, when he fought WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder to a controversial twelve round split draw at Staples Center in Carson, California.
There were negotiations for a rematch, but they fell apart when Fury signed his deal with Top Rank and ESPN. The network and Top Rank were not in favor of an immediate rematch.
Fury understands that almost everyone wants the rematch to come. Wilder is scheduled to fight on May 18th, in a mandatory title defense against Dominic Breazeale at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
“Join the club. Me and Wilder have to have this rematch. I have to take care of Schwarz, Wilder has to take care of Dominic Breazeale and then I say we get it on. He has gone quiet; I send him messages and he doesn’t reply any more,” Fury said.