By Gilbert Manzano
Errol Spence Jr. has repeatedly said that Shawn Porter avoided him by opting for a mandatory title defense against Yordenis Ugas earlier this month.
If that was the case, it appears Porter is no longer avoiding Spence.
Porter (30-2-1, 17 KOs) has pushed for a welterweight unification showdown with Spence (25-0, 21 KOs) the past few weeks. On Sunday, Porter revealed that his request might be granted soon.
“I think we got Errol Spence next. We’ll see,” Porter told reporters in Oxon Hill, Maryland, before Sergey Lipinets defeated Lamont Peterson.
Porter had another nugget before taking his ringside seat: “Oh yeah, it’s a pay-per-view fight.”
Many fight fans will grown at the PPV price tag, but it’s an intriguing bout between two aggressive fighters in their prime.
The roles have reversed in the Porter-Spence rivalry. In September, Spence entered the ring to call out Porter after Porter captured the WBC title in a signature win over Danny Garcia.
But after Spence retained his IBF belt in a unanimous decision victory against Mikey Garcia on March 16, Spence didn’t seem interested in a fight with Porter.
Spence prefered Manny Pacquiao, a much more lucrative bout, and took a shot at Porter by saying he can’t sell out a family dinner.
Now, Spence will probably be hoping Porter brings a lot more fans to the venue if a bout between the two comes to fruition.