Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s jump right to it.
October 8, 2018
- Undertaker, Kane, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels are all expected to make multiple television appearances leading up to Crown Jewel on Nov. 2 in Saudi Arabia.
- This is true. None of them were particularly good. (1/1)
- WWE is looking at expanding NXT with its added revenue, says the Observer. That could be talent, more Performance Centers internationally, and more international territories.
- They announced plans for a PC in India, amongst others, recently (1/1)
- In an interview with Manny Tsigas, Triple H seemed to indicate WWE has no plans of intergender matches becoming any kind of frequent thing in WWE anytime soon.
- Nothing yet. They’ve dipped their toes in a bit but nothing significant. (1/1)
- Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that while WWE announced an attendance of 70,309 fans, the actual attendance at Super Show-Down was closer to 62,000.
- They always fudge the numbers… to the magnitude of 8,000.
- According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, PAC was courted heavily for New Japan but feels like Dragon Gate is “home” and he’ll be there going forward.
- He’s in AEW now but still working Dragon Gate. Don’t know if it’s his “home” but he’s still holding one of their titles. (1/1)
October 9, 2018
- Vince McMahon is a big fan of Becky Lynch’s recent work, says WrestlingNews.co, and has even used her as an example when telling other talent to grab the brass ring.
- He crowned her big time at WrestleMania.
- Among the options for expanding NXT being discussed includes making it a weekly two hour show and lengthening TakeOvers, but Wrestling Observer Newsletter says nothing’s been decided.
- NXT is still an hour show. Last TakeOver was almost an hour longer than usual but we don’t know if that’s permanent going forward. Personally, I liked when it was closer to two hours than three.
- Though their roles aren’t confirmed, PW Insider says a number of NXT talents are scheduled to be in Long Island for Evolution – Bianca Belair, Candice LeRae, Dakota Kai, and MMA Horsewomen Jessamyn Duke & Marina Shafir.
- The Horsewomen debuted to help Shayna Baszler retain the NXT women’s title. The other three were not on the show. (2/5)
- Royal Rumble 2019 will feature an Axxess fan event from Friday – Sunday at Phoenix Convention Center, per PW Insider.
- That’s accurate. (1/1)
October 10, 2018
- Shawn Michaels is planning on working WrestleMania 35 if all goes well with this run, according to WrestleVotes.
- He did not. Just the crummy Crown Jewel match. (0/1)
- PW Insider notes that Kane is scheduled for SmackDown 1000. They also say Lacey Evans, Mia Yim, Rhea Ripley, and Kacy Catanzaro are booked for Evolution.
- No Kane at SD1000 and none of those NXT talents were at Evolution. (0/5)
- Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that Alexa Bliss & Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus & Lita was always the plan for Evolution, and not the singles matches that had previously been booked.
- An example of their bait and switch booking.
- The reason for that, apparently, is that they couldn’t announce Ronda Rousey vs. Nikki Bella yet but needed to sell tickets to the show on a match already announced, so they revealed Trish vs. Alexa but had always intended to change it.
- That’s pretty deceptive, even with the card subject to change.
October 11, 2018
- Contradicting a rumor from yesterday, PW Insider says the decision to put Trish Stratus & Lita together at Evolution only came a couple weeks ago. They also claim the pair will work future “major shows” as a team going forward.
- Maybe a bait and switch. Maybe not. Can’t both be right, so that gets a 1/2. They did not work any shows after this, which will get an incorrect knock. (1/3)
- According to Ringside News, WWE’s recent acquisition of WCW trademarks like “Halloween Havoc” are for use with future television events under the Fox deal.
- We’ll have to wait and see.
- Twitter-er rovert claims Chelsea Green has signed with WWE and reported to the Performance Center this week.
- She is with WWE now. Unfortunately, she’s out with a broken wrist. In better news, she recently got engaged to the Zack Daddy. (1/1)
- Kane is teaming with former WWE head trainer Dr. Tom Prichard to open a wrestling school in Knoxville.
- This is true. This is where Beth Phoenix went to train for her recent ‘Mania match. (1/1)
October 12, 2018
- During a discussion on PW Insider Elite Audio, Dave Scherer claimed Vince McMahon isn’t using Asuka on television because “she doesn’t speak good English”.
- Her booking is so weird. She’s sometimes booked great and other times poorly.
- The decision to turn Bobby Lashley heel was made in the hours leading up to this week’s Raw, according to Wrestling Observer. It was at least partly based on the brand’s need for heels, especially with Kevin Owens’ injury.
- He’s much better as a heel.
- The Observer also notes that Vince McMahon was feeding Lio Rush his lines during the segment via Rush’s earpiece, a sign the Chairman’s taken a personal interest in their act.
- There’s again talk women’s tag titles could be introduced at Evolution. Barnburner says Stephanie McMahon’s role on the show will be to unveil them.
- It was much later, announced in December via a Vince McMahon as Santa video. Stephanie was a ring commentator for the battle royal. (0/1)
- WWE has downplayed Steph’s initial promise of “more than 50 women” at Evolution, notes Wrestling Observer. They say the original plan of having every active female NXT Superstar at the show might not happen.
- It did not happen. There were no NXT women in that battle royal.
October 13, 2018
- On Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez said the majority of the talent in WWE doesn’t want to go to Saudi Arabia for the Crown Jewel show but the office does want to go.
- This makes sense. Most people went, like it or not.
- PW Insider says Kurt Angle is scheduled for Raw next week and looks to be back as a regular on television.
- Kurt was back on that night. (1/1)
- Becky Lynch is currently working with a “cracked jaw,” says the Observer.
- Yeah, you could tell that when she spoke. She had already mentioned it in a Tweet prior to this rumor.
- Per the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the plan was always to have Daniel Bryan beat The Miz in a very short match at Super Show-Down so they could use it in promos later.
- They really didn’t come back to it promo wise. (0/1)
- Punishment Martinez has signed with WWE and will start at the Performance Center this month, says PW Insider.
- He’s in NXT. He had one match against Matt Riddle but hasn’t been used on TV otherwise. Likely they were getting him some TV reps but are working on his plan. He could be a big player. (1/1)
This week: 12/25 – 48%
Overall: 2,677/4,871 – 55.0%
Have a great week, everyone!