Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s just right into it.
November 12, 2018
- It’s possible members of the Raw roster will be appearing on SmackDown Live this week for the final build to Survivor Series.
- It doesn’t look like it. But that was the night that Becky had to announce her Survivor Series replacement and Daniel Bryan won the title, so there was still plenty going on. (0/1)
- According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, WWE struggled with house shows overseas and it’s become alarming for the company to have attendance down to this degree.
- The news currently isn’t much better.
- Luke Harper appeared in pictures recently, notably on Brad Williams’ Twitter, wearing a cast, leading to speculation he’s healing from an injury.
- He was out with an injury. He was cleared for WrestleMania, used in the World’s Collide and in the Andre Battle royal. He’s since asked for his release, was denied, and now is being held well into 2020. (1/1)
- Per the Observer, NXT TakeOver: WarGames is only scheduled for four matches instead of five because WWE wants to make sure all the matches get the necessary time.
- TakeOver: WarGames had an impromptu Matt Riddle/Kassius Ohno match. It was a squash, but it made five. (0/1)
- According to PW Insider, Homicide, Eddie Kingston, and Hernandez are working without a contract in Impact Wrestling.
- Odd that they wouldn’t have any sort of contract, even if it was just a short term contract that specified an amount of dates.
November 13, 2018
- WWE is said to be considering having Nia Jax & Tamina cost Ronda Rousey her match against Becky Lynch at Survivor Series, according to rajah.com.
- We soon learned that match didn’t happen.
- Speculation is also out there, from Dave Meltzer on Twitter and elsewhere (and aided by last night’s Raw closing angle), that Charlotte Flair may help Becky win to set the stage for the Horsewomen feud. Either way, there’s lots of talk about Lynch possibly winning on Sunday.
- This was when Becky was at her hottest, so having her lose clean would have been quite astonishing. Not that I’d have put it past them.
- Shinsuke Nakamura being featured in advertising for next spring’s European tour has been taken by some as a sign WWE is confident he’ll re-up with them when his deal is up in early 2019
- It’s tough to say 100%, but he’s still around pretty close to the middle of 2019 and word is he’s re-signed. (1/1)
- Brock Lesnar isn’t expected to work December’s TLC PPV, according to Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- He did not, to the surprise of no one. (1/1)
November 14, 2018
- There were many unhappy wrestlers — mostly from the SmackDown side — backstage after Nia Jax injured Becky Lynch, per Sean Ross Sapp, among others.
- PW Insider said there were multiple scenarios WWE went over on how to deal with Lynch’s injury, including possibly having her drop the SmackDown women’s championship.
- At the time, I’m glad they didn’t make her drop it. But the way it ended up, they may as well have because they took the belt off her eventually anyway.
- Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that he heard Brock Lesnar won’t be wrestling Braun Strowman at WrestleMania 35, so any match between the two will be before then.
- True and false. It didn’t happen at WrestleMania but it didn’t happen before that either. (1/2)
- He also said Strowman vs. Baron Corbin is likely happening at TLC in December.
- That is true. It happened even though Strowman was hurt. (1/1)
- Vince McMahon was not backstage at SmackDown this week, according to PW Insider. Meanwhile, Ric Flair was in town for the show.
- Surprised Vince wasn’t there for the night there was a WWE title change.
November 15, 2018
- Per one of John Pollock of POST Wrestling’s sources, prior to her injury the plan appeared to be for Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey to close the show at Survivor Series.
- It was definitely the hottest thing going. It ended up being Lesnar vs. Bryan after Becky got hurt.
- According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, Rousey/Lynch is already in consideration for the main event, or at least to be one of two big matches at WrestleMania 35.
- Charlotte was there so it wasn’t JUST Lynch/Rousey, but I’ll give it to them. (1/1)
- Observer Radio also brought our usual TakeOver rumor about NXT call-ups, saying a round could be coming next week after Survivor Series.
- That did not happen. There was kind of one a month later that were barely used, but there wasn’t a post Survivor Series one. (0/1)
- AJ Styles was replaced by Jeff Hardy on this week’s Mixed Match Challenge as Styles sold the effects of his SmackDown main event. It’s only planned as a one-time change, however, and AJ should be back as Charlotte’s partner for their next match.
- Jeff Hardy remained Charlotte’s partner. (0/1)
November 16, 2018
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that it was “both Vince McMahon and Ronda Rousey” who decided the best thing would be to do Rousey vs. Becky Lynch at WrestleMania 35. That’s part of why they’ve gone so hard at each other on Twitter.
- Interesting to hear how much input Ronda had. (1/1)
- Daniel Bryan has been wanting to turn heel for some time, according to the Observer.
- He’s so damn good at it.
- They also note that while it may have seemed like WWE was teasing a Daniel Bryan vs. Shane McMahon program that is not the plan for WrestleMania next year.
- It was Bryan vs. Kofi, which probably wasn’t the plan until like a month out. (1/1)
- There’s at least some talk going around that The Elite could simply create their own promotion next year, which obviously means not going to WWE. That would likely mean still working with promotions like New Japan and ROH.
- That is the case, at least with the first part. It looks like they’re doing some work with New Japan (at least Jericho is) but there’s been no work with ROH. (1/1)
- Per PW Insider, Giancarlo Dittamo, who helped Joey Janela break out on the independent scene, was hired by WWE weeks ago.
- Looks like there’s even a LinkedIn! (1/1)
November 17, 2018
- According to the Observer, Charlotte Flair flew right to Los Angeles after SmackDown to start working out the match with Ronda Rousey at Survivor Series.
- That makes sense. It was a very high profile match and it was quite sudden.
- In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer notes he’s heard from more WWE talent about Brock Lesnar than Nia Jax, that there is frustration that he’s bulletproof despite suplexing Sunil Singh on his head.
- That’s fair. At least she’s in the trenches with them. Brock got to show up and do whatever.
- Per PW Insider, Trevor Lee is done with Impact Wrestling and WWE is interested in signing him.
- He’s already signed with the E. (1/1)
- They also say Shane Strickland is looking at going to WWE soon.
- He’s also there. Both should be fun to see. (1/1)
This week: 12/17 – 71%
Overall: 2,739/4,969 – 55.1%
Have a great week, everyone!