Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s just right into it.
December 10, 2018
- Per PW Insider, AJ Styles’ deal with WWE expires in April 2019 but it is believed he is currently negotiating with them and it is expected he will re-sign.
- He did re-sign. He says it’s his last contract. (1/1)
- For that matter, they also say Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows have deals that expire in Sept. 2019, and NJPW is apparently interested in a return.
- Or maybe AEW?
- WrestleTalk says Cody Rhodes recently noted he turned down an offer from WWE in the past few weeks.
- I’d assume he turned it down since he is one of those running AEW.
- Word from the NXT house show in Green Bay this past weekend was that Dakota Kai suffered a knee injury.
- Unfortunately, she’s still out with it. (1/1)
- Per the Observer, WWE is interested in KUSHIDA and there has been more talk of it lately.
- He’s in NXT currently. (1/1)
December 11, 2018
- Finn Bálor is not injured according to PW Insider, but is dealing with an illness that caused him to leave the South American tour early and miss this week’s television.
- If he was injured, he didn’t miss any time.
- WWE expects Bálor to work his scheduled match with Drew McIntyre Sunday at TLC. Last week’s beatdown was just to add heat to the match and is unrelated to his getting sick.
- They worked the show, and Bálor got the win. (1/1)
- Dakota Kai’s news might not be as good. Wrestling Observer said she had her MRI on Monday, and while the results aren’t back, “the belief was that she tore her ACL”.
- It was an ACL. (1/1)
- WrestleVotes had tweeted they were expecting a change to the TLC card to be made on Raw. There’s still a lot of speculation about a change to the Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin match, or a consolidation of the three matches attached to Corbin’s storyline.
- That Corbin match wasn’t changed. (0/1)
- Rachael Ellering and Karen Q are two names the Observer says are on WWE’s radar heading into 2019.
- They’re both in NXT now. (2/2)
December 12, 2018
- Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that Kevin Owens is due back in late February but WWE may hold off on bringing him back until WrestleMania 35.
- They brought him back in February to feud with Daniel Bryan before Kofi challenged for the title. (1/2)
- According to PW Insider, Jason Jordan was recently in Birmingham, Alabama to be evaluated by doctors on his neck injury.
- We haven’t heard much about Jordan’s injury. The news didn’t sound good though.
- Speaking of injuries, Matt Hardy recently told Wrestling Inc that his rehab went better than expected. The latest word is that he could return as a television character again.
- He returned to team with her brother, but then Jeff got injured. (1/1)
- Though it didn’t happen this week, it is expected that Mandy Rose vs. Naomi will happen on next week’s episode of SmackDown Live.
- That did not happen the following week either. Instead Naomi faced Asuka in a title match. (0/1)
- Paul Heyman has done work with Bobby Lashley backstage, says PW Insider.
- Sounds like Heyman helps out non-Brock talents backstage.
December 13, 2018
- Right now it looks like we should see three titles change hands at TLC.
- There were only two. (0/1)
- About that rumor The Rock was supposed to win the Royal Rumble next month and face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 35? On The Board at F4W, Dave Meltzer said “This didn’t sound believable, but I checked. Not true at all.” WrestleVotes said plans may have changed, but they stand by their source.
- It didn’t happen, and it probably never would have. Though the word was if it were to happen, it would be to feud with Roman. So when he left to battle his leukemia, that would have been off the table anyway.
- Finn Balor’s illness “requires clearance for physical contact” according to POST Wrestling. They reiterated that WWE believes he’ll get the go ahead to wrestle by TLC.
- He wrestled at TLC. (1/1)
- It’s not clear it’s the same or a related diagnosis or just a coincidence, but on PW Insider Elite Audio, Mike Johnson said he knows of at least one more person on the roster who is ill. Alexa Bliss posted an Instagram story saying she’s sick, and Mandy Rose said the same on her Snapchat.
- Sounds like something was going around.
- Mandy’s illness is believed to be the reason her match with Naomi was cancelled on Tuesday’s SmackDown.
- Is that why they didn’t do it the following week? Or was that illness “constant rewrites?”
December 14, 2018
- While it’s still unclear if he’ll wrestle, PW Insider says Braun Strowman is, at the very least, going to be at TLC.
- He was. He really didn’t wrestle, but he was there and participated in the match. (1/1)
- For whatever it’s worth, WrestleVotes says they’re hearing Strowman isn’t likely to wrestle and John Cena has been scheduled to replace him for some upcoming house show matches.
- He didn’t wrestle. Cena worked a couple dates at the end of December, but don’t know if they were planned prior. (1/1)
- WWE is currently filming a documentary on Becky Lynch for the Network, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- There was at least one. (1/1)
- The Observer notes that 205 Live will continue to air on Wednesday rather than on Tuesday even though Mixed Match Challenge has ended, and WWE will make another decision on it come 2019.
- It moved back to Tuesday, which hasn’t done it any favors, especially taping it after SmackDown instead of before again. (0/1)
- Sin Cara has been cleared to return and has been spending time at the Performance Center in preparation for it, per PW Insider.
- And 6 months later he returned…
December 15, 2018
- There’s speculation that Ronda Rousey and Nia Jax will be missing house shows this weekend to work on their match at TLC.
- The word was they always rehearsed Ronda’s matches.
- Take this for what it’s worth but Becky Lynch mentioned on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show that the WWE locker room had past resentment toward Ronda Rousey for her big push upcoming coming in.
- That’s not surprising. But that’s how it works when someone with past stardom comes into WWE and gets a big spot off the bat. At least Ronda was around often and put the work in.
- On Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez mentioned there is a belief within WWE that they are going to turn things around in January. There’s apparently some big idea.
- What would that be? The build to WrestleMania maxed out at fine. (0/1)
- According to Casey Michael of Squared Circle Sirens, Nick Miller was cut from NXT. Dave Meltzer later said he went home to Australia when his child was born and decided to stay there.
- Sounds like conflicting reports. (1/2)
- In addition, there is talk that Tucker was released from the WWE UK roster.
- He’s no longer there. (1/1)
This week: 15/22 – 68%
Overall: 2,777/5,036 – 55.1%
Have a great week, everyone!