Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s jump right to it.
August 24, 2018
- The plan now is for The Shield to get the run they were supposed to have before Roman Reigns got the mumps and Dean Ambrose got injured last year.
- They had a bit of a run, though it never lived up to their initial run. But things like these usually do. (1/1)
- There continues to be speculation that Natalya vs. Ronda Rousey is planned for a future program, likely sooner rather than later.
- They had a match in December. It wasn’t really a program though. (0/1)
- Speaking of Rousey, the Observer says it’s not a lock that she’ll wrestle Charlotte at WrestleMania 35 though it is one of the ideas WWE is currently considering.
- Becky Lynch threw a wrench into things, though Charlotte is still in the plans.
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that Triple H saying the Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano match had to be changed because of a legitimate injury was storyline, even though he said it in a non-working setting.
- It fit into the storyline so well that I was always skeptical of it being real. I think the consensus is it was always a work.
- PW Insider says WWE recently filed a trademark for ECW but for clothing purposes.
- They don’t have many ECW shirts on their WWEShop currently. Looks like only two.
August 25, 2018
- There’s speculation WWE is planning something major at Royal Rumble next year, seemingly in response to this tweet from TicketDrew.
- The baseball stadium was already announced so I don’t know what this could be referring to. I’m going to say no to this one. (0/1)
- There continues to be talk of Paul Heyman sticking around on WWE television despite Brock Lesnar leaving for UFC, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- Brock never really left so we don’t know if he would have or not.
- They also note there was always talk of putting Heyman with Ronda Rousey.
- That never happened. Though if she turns heel, I’d be into it. (0/1)
- Per the Observer, and for whatever it’s worth, Roman Reigns has apparently now overtaken John Cena as the best merchandise seller in WWE today.
- The Big Dog!
- PW Insider notes that there have been rumors that SummerSlam in 2019 could be headed for Toronto and that announcement could be coming when Raw is there next week.
- Accurate on both accounts. (2/2)
August 27, 2018
- While Brock Lesnar is now gone to focus on his next fight in the UFC, he is expected back in WWE in the future.
- He was back by October. And that was before Reigns had to leave. (1/1)
- There has been talk of Kurt Angle possibly wrestling full time and that’s why he was taken out of his role as General Manager but WrestleVotes indicates that’s not the case. That doesn’t mean he won’t wrestle at all, though.
- I would say Votes is right here. He wrestles sparingly. (1/1)
- WWE doesn’t currently have any plans of reversing its course with the Charlotte-Becky Lynch storyline.
- This is a tough one. I’m going to say that they never reversed course in the sense that Charlotte didn’t become the heel (she is now but that was much later) but they did back off on presenting Becky as a villain. (1/1)
- There’s a lot of speculation that Neville could be showing up at ALL IN.
- He did not, though he is an AEW roster member currently. (0/1)
August 28, 2018
- While it’s not clear if he’ll be on television, per PW Insider Undertaker will be at next week’s Raw taping in Columbus, Ohio.
- He was there on TV promoting his match with Triple H in Australia. (1/1)
- That site also says Neville was spotted in Pittsburgh last week, leading to speculation he could be signing a new deal with WWE to work on a brand other than 205 Live.
- That most definitely was not the case. (0/1)
- Maryse is scheduled to be on SmackDown tonight and will be a regular again from here on out, according to Insider. They also report a Maryse vs. Brie Bella match is being considered for Evolution.
- Maryse never came back full time after having Monroe Sky and she didn’t work Evolution. (0/2)
- Both PW Insider and Wrestling Observer say next week’s tag tournament triple threat on SmackDown will be The Usos vs. Sanity vs. Rusev Day.
- That was the match. Rusev Day picked up the win. I’m still angry they broke up Rusev Day given both guys had nothing planned. (1/1)
- Also from Insider, WWE has rescheduled two European house show dates from Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 to May of 2019. The belief is this is so they can announce their next show in Saudi Arabia for the first week of November.
- Crown Jewel was Nov. 2 so this was to give them time to travel to the Middle East. (1/1)
August 29, 2018
- According to Barnburner’s Fired Up podcast, Kevin Owens could be a Paul Heyman guy when he’s brought back to TV.
- So this wasn’t regarding to his current injury (which he just returned from without Paul Heyman) but regarding to when he “quit” on TV. But then he came back the next week without explanation, making that a worthless segment. (0/1)
- Wrestlevotes says Bray Wyatt is in line for a “slight refresh”. His character will largely be the same when he returns to TV, and he should get a push as a babyface singles act.
- Still waiting…
- While reporting he was backstage at Raw in Toronto, PW Insider speculated Kurt Angle will be back on television shortly. The site reiterated their previous report he’d be wrestling again soon, and thinks he’ll face Baron Corbin.
- He wasn’t back until Crown Jewel and after that he soon returned to Raw, which is a pretty short time. He didn’t face Corbin when he returned though. That’s when he took the humiliating loss to Drew McIntyre. (1/2)
- Two producers brought into NXT from Impact, Jeremy Borash and James Long, will reportedly be on Triple H’s team when he some day inherits responsibility for all WWE creative from Vince McMahon, per Wrestling Observer.
- It’s still very crazy to see Borash in NXT.
August 30, 2018
- Lots of talk WWE has pivoted away from booking Becky Lynch as a heel, instead opting to let audiences decide how they want to react in her feud with Charlotte Flair. Bryan Alvarez discussed this on Wrestling Observer Live, saying her run-in and use of the word “bitch” on this week’s SmackDown were designed to get a pop.
- This feels accurate. They only tried to present her as a full on heel the first couple weeks. (1/1)
- John Pollock of POST Wrestling said he was told “the idea now is much less of a heel/babyface dynamic and instead it’s two ex-friends that both have valid points and neither is going to back down from the other”. WWE still doesn’t want Charlotte seen as a villain, but isn’t going to force Becky into that role, either.
- Again, this is pretty much how they did it. Charlotte is now a heel, but that was only after a fight with Ronda Rousey at Survivor Series. (1/1)
- WWE’s next show in Saudi Arabia will be on Fri., Nov. 2 according to PW Insider. It’s not known if it will be streamed on WWE Network.
- It was the controversial Crown Jewel show, and it did air on that date. It was on the Network. (1/1)
- Insider has also posted on update on their recent Kurt Angle talk: his suspension is only storyline and there’s “no heat” on him, he’s training hard for an in-ring return but they have no confirmation on who his opponent or opponents will be.
- I never thought there would be heat. Not that he cares. He’s out here talking his wiping habits.
- WWE is negotiating to get The Rock on SmackDown 1000, says Barnburner’s Fired Up podcast, and are “very very close” to getting him booked for the Oct. 16 show.
- He wasn’t there. But that show was stacked anyway. (0/1)
August 31, 2018
- According to Sports Illustrated, WWE “is looking to build a lengthy title reign” for Universal champion Roman Reigns, which means don’t expect Braun Strowman to win at Hell in a Cell.
- Braun did not win at Hell in a Cell (thanks to Brock). We don’t know how long Roman would have had the title if he didn’t have to relinquish the title due to leukemia. (1/1)
- Drew McIntyre is probably going to be the next challenger for Reigns, says SI.
- That never happened. I still look forward to that match. (0/1)
- While Wrestling Observer says there’s no truth to talk Kevin Owens might be paired with Paul Heyman when he returns to TV, that hasn’t slowed the rumor mill. Ringside News says they’ve heard WWE is considering putting Heyman with Samoa Joe, Bobby Lashley or Ronda Rousey.
- Heyman hasn’t been with anyone beside Brock. (1/2)
- Toni Storm did suffer what The Observer says was a spine injury at last weekend’s NXT UK tapings. It’s “not believed to be too serious at this point”, but she hasn’t been evaluated yet.
- She didn’t miss any time. She was winning the Mae Young just a month later. (1/1)
- Advance ticket sales for Super Show-Down in Melbourne are said to be good, per Wrestling Observer. WWE officials expect 60,000 tickets to be legitimately sold, but they’ll announce more than that.
- They always announce more than they fill.
September 1, 2018
- Per the Observer, at least as of two weeks ago there was nothing to talk of AJ Lee coming back to WWE for the Evolution event and it would be very difficult for it to be put together.
- I still miss AJ Lee. (1/1)
- The Shield’s reunion was done at least in part because it would boost merchandise sales, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
- I’m sure they moved merch.
- There’s some speculation that Braun Strowman turned heel so he could lose on his Money in the Bank cash in and not be too hurt by it.
- It was a very bad heel turn.
- The Young Bucks & Kota Ibushi vs. Rey Mysterio & Fenix & Bandido is scheduled to go on last at ALL IN, per the Observer.
- That’s the case. (1/1)
- Diamond Dallas Page is apparently doing an episode of Joe Rogan’s podcast soon.
- He did. (1/1)
This week: 19/31 – 61%
August 2018: 40/80 – 50%
Overall: 2,620/4,761 – 55.0%
Have a great week, everyone!