Michael Conlan: I Won’t Fight Carl Frampton

Share the joy


By Elliot Foster

Michael Conlan has poured water on the idea of a clash against Carl Frampton.

The WBO Inter-Continental and WBA Inter-Continental featherweight champion claimed the latter of his two titles earlier this month.

Conlan starred at the Feile on Phobail festival at Falls Park in Belfast on August 3, exclusively live on BT Sport in the UK, when he stopped Diego Alberto Ruiz in the ninth of 10 scheduled rounds.

frampton-conlan

His promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank Inc., was at ringside, watching his charge impress in front of his home fans and afterwards, he mentioned the idea of potentially putting Conlan –– who suffered a controversial quarter-final defeat at the hands of fellow Top Rank man Vladimir Nikitin of Russia in the summer Olympics back in 2016 –– in with the former two-weight world champion.

“I am not a puppet master that moves all of these people,” said Arum when on BT Sport shortly after Conlan’s last win. “They all have a say on who they want to fight and who they are ready to fight. Now I don’t know what the politics are and so forth, but obviously if we did a Conlan-Frampton fight, it would be huge. It would pull in five times the people.”

Conlan was asked about the idea of fighting his fellow Ulsterman, though, and quickly knocked it down for a myriad of reasons.

“I can put that to bed. That’s not happening,” he said. “Carl and I are friends and it wouldn’t be good for the city. It isn’t happening.”




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *