By Miguel Rivera
Former world champion Marcos Maidana has practically ruled out the idea of ?returning to the ring, despite all of the publicity he got a few days ago.
Earlier this week, a video was circulated on the internet, where Maidana was seen throwing punches in the gym and called for a trilogy fight with former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather.
In a conversation with the newspaper La Nación de Argentina, Maidana did not discuss the idea of fighting Mayweather – but instead he broke down that he wanted to avoid the scenario of joining the long list of boxers who, after announcing their retirement, would turn around and return to the ring.
This year will mark a a five year period for Maidana’s retirement. The boxer announced his retirement after losing back to back decisions to Floyd Mayweather in high profile pay-per-view events.
“Almost everyone says they are retiring and then they come back… I want to be unique, I don’t want to go back on my word, I’m fine, I would not go back, I would look for other resources… I have other businesses, other things. I retired and it’s over. Boxing is something that was left behind,” said Maidana.
When asked if he missed boxing, he said that wasn’t the case.
“It was a job, I retired, the time on the stage is over. I’m still traveling, going to fights, but without training or going to the ring. The fights with Mayweather helped me retire early,” revealed Maidana.
“I never thought I was going to become a champion, I was boxing because I liked it, I did it well. I felt it was a job, that motivated me and I went ahead.”
Maidana promotes the fight of his younger brother, Fabián, against Jaider Parra this Saturday. ‘TNT’ Maidana (16-0, 12 KOs) is a favorite to defeat Parra (32-2-1, 21 KO’s) at the Polideportivo Stadium in Mar del Plata.