Josh Taylor: I Don’t Think There is Anybody That Can Stop Me!

Share the joy

Josh Taylor beat Ryan Martin in the quarter-final of the World Boxing Super Series with a seventh-round stoppage of the American at the SSE Hydro, Glasgow.

The 27-year-old from Prestonpans took his time to get going but when he floored his hitherto unbeaten opponents with a left to the head and a left to the body, referee Victor Loughlin stepped in to call a halt, with two minutes 21 seconds of the round gone.

“I am very happy with the way the performance went tonight. I knew I was going to win the fight. Credit to Ryan but the fight was easy for me, I never got out of second gear. I’m ready for this next fight. This is me just getting started. I’m 100 percent confident and I don’t think there is anyone going to stop me,” Taylor said.


Taylor, who extended his unbeaten record to 14-0-0 and who held on to his WBC Silver championship belt, will take on new IBF super-lightweight champion Ivan Baranchyk in the next stage of the eight-fighter tournament in his quest for the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

There was bedlam inside the arena before a cagey opening round ensued with both boxers looking for their range, a right body shot near the end of the round from Taylor bringing some cheers from his supporters.

The Scotsman’s face was a picture of concentration as he looked for openings but Martin, 25, taking the middle of the ring, looked calm and composed.

Taylor found his way through with a couple of accurate rights in the third round and then unloaded a brief flurry but it was still tepid.

The crowd waited patiently for the fight to come to life and there was more action in round five as both men exchanged shots.

Taylor was the more accurate and he landed several punishing body shots but Martin rarely took a backward step and he too landed some point scorers, one especially at the start of round six, where they began to go toe-to-toe with each other.

Taylor found most of his joy with body shots and – by the midway point – he appeared to have the edge and when Martin went to the canvas after feeling the force of the Scot, referee Loughlin stepped in to end the contest.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *