Jermall Charlo Not Frustrated WBC Hasn’t Mandated Canelo Fight

Share the joy


By Keith Idec

Fourteen months after winning the WBC’s interim middleweight title, Jermall Charlo appears no closer to getting a shot at that sanctioning organization’s real 160-pound championship.

Gennadiy Golovkin owned the WBC middleweight title when Charlo knocked out Hugo Centeno Jr. in the second round of their April 2018 bout to win its interim championship. Canelo Alvarez won the WBC’s 160-pound championship from Golovkin in their rematch nine months ago.

Alvarez has won two fights since taking that title from Golovkin – once at super middleweight versus Rocky Fielding and once in a middleweight title unification fight against Daniel Jacobs.

jermall-charlo_1

The Mexican superstar is expected to return to the ring September 14, perhaps in a third fight against Golovkin. Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs) and Golovkin (39-1-1, 35 KOs) both have signed nine-figure contracts with DAZN, which seemingly should make their third fight relatively easy to put together for that streaming service.

Even if their third fight doesn’t happen September 14, Charlo, who fights on Showtime and FOX for Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions, isn’t considered a potential opponent for Alvarez for that bout. Charlo, who’ll box Brandon Adams on Saturday night, said during a conference call Tuesday that he isn’t bothered by continuing to wait for his shot at the true WBC middleweight title.

“It’s definitely not frustrating,” said Charlo, who previously has stated his desire to fight Alvarez. “I’m living the best life I can possibly live right now. I’m young, I’m very healthy, I have my family, I have my closest friends, I have my trainer, Ronnie Shields. We’ll handle the situations as they come. Right now, we’re focused on Brandon Adams. I’m locked, I’m loaded, I’m ready. I’m ready to put on the best performance I have in me.”

The 29-year-old Charlo (28-2, 21 KOs) will defend what’s supposed to be a temporary title for a second time when he squares off against Adams (21-2, 13 KOs). Their scheduled 12-round, 160-pound title fight will headline Showtime’s tripleheader Saturday night from NRG Arena in Houston, Charlo’s hometown.

Showtime’s telecast will begin at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT with a 12-round WBA featherweight eliminator that’ll match Mexico’s Eduardo Ramirez (22-1-3, 9 KOs) against the Dominican Republic’s Claudio Marrero (23-3, 17 KOs). In the following televised fight, Erickson Lubin (20-1, 15 KOs), of Orlando, Florida, will face France’s Zakaria Attou (29-6-2, 7 KOs) in a 12-round, 154-pound WBC elimination match.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *