Jake Shields has a simple explanation for the lengthy absences of the Diaz brothers.
Nate Diaz hasn’t had a fight since Aug. 2016. Nick Diaz hasn’t competed since Jan. 2015. Nate was set to return earlier this month for UFC 230. He was scheduled to fight Dustin Poirier, but “The Diamond” was forced to pull out of the event due to an injury. As for Nick, he’s reportedly set to return on March 2 to take on Jorge Masvidal at UFC 235.
Jake Shields Talks Diaz Brothers’ Inactivity
Shields is a longtime friend and training partner of Nick and Nate. All three fighters have trained under Cesar Gracie. Shields recently told BJPenn.com that he still trains with the Diaz brothers and has a reason for their inactivity:
“I still go back to California to train with Nick and Nate Diaz. I have trained with them a lot. Currently, I am in New York so I’m not training with them as much. I have trained with these guys non-stop for years now. I think they both want to fight still, just not as often. Nate is just waiting for the Conor fight or big fights and same with Nick he was just waiting for big fights. They both had great careers already, so they are just looking for the big money fights now.”
While it appears Nick’s plans are set, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Nate. UFC president Dana White recently said he will wait until Nate is “dying to fight” before booking him again.
Do you think both Nick and Nate Diaz will have at least one bout in 2019?