By Miguel Rivera
Jaime Munguia will make the fourth defense of the World Boxing Organization junior middleweight world title on April 13 at the Arena Monterrey in Mexico against an opponent to be determined, according to his promoter Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions.
Beltran made the announcement during the delivery of the recognition granted by the National Boxing Commission.
Munguía defeated Takeshi Inoue on Saturday night in a raging battle in Houston and in which the Mexican had to make use of his entire aresenal to come out with his hand raised.
The contest is reportedly going to be a voluntary defense, before making his mandtaory obligation against Dennis Hogan in the second half of 2019.
Beltrán highlighted the co-promoyional partnership he made with Golden Boy Promotions to take Munguía to the best possible showcase and said that his young protege reminds him of Érik Morales.
He believes that Munguia has all of the necessary qualities to rise to the same heights as Morales, who won multiple world titles and saw himself inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
“We are very proud of what Jaime has done so far. We are very happy for this surprise that our friend Miguel Torruco brought us and we are sure that Jaime is, and will be, a great ambassador for Mexico,” said the Tijuana promoter to ESPN Deportes.
“Jaime has reminded us of the great Érik Morales. The two are from difficult colonies in Tijuana, the two were crowned at age 21, the two undefeated and I see in Jaime a great future as we saw with Erik.
Beltrán revealed that if Munguia wins on April 13, he would love to see the hard puncher fight on the undercard of Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez’s next ring appearance in September. Canelo will first return on May 4th, in a WBC, WBA, IBF middleweight unification against Daniel Jacobs at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.