“What a great team effort this evening,” said fifth-year Navy head coach Joel Sharratt. “It was an impressive win tonight, but the team knows we have work to do as we continue to push toward our final team goals for 2019 in February and March.”
• The Midshipmen improved to 5-2 in dual competition, including 3-1 in EIWA action, with their win over Drexel.
• Tonight’s match marked the 17th meeting between the two programs in a series that dates back to 1986.
• Navy now leads the series, 12-5, including 5-1 in matches wrestled in Annapolis.
• The Midshipmen have won three straight in the series – Annapolis 25-14 in 2016, 22-13 in 2017, 25-12 in 2019
• Navy never trailed in the match and led by as much as 19 (19-0 – halfway through the match).
• Senior Jonathan Carrera’s 7-4 win over Bryan McLaughlin at 174 pounds clinched the team victory for the Mids (led 22-3 with 3 matches remaining).
• Sophomore Cody Trybus, senior Jonathan Carrera and junior Alex Benoit all wrestled up a weight class in their respective matches with two of the three coming up with victories.
• Jacob Allen (125), Casey Cobb (133) and Quentin Hovis (157) never trailed in their matches.
• Sophomore Cody Trybus (133) forced overtime against his foe, Nick Widmann, after evening the match with an escape just 11 seconds into the third period. Neither wrestler scored in the first sudden victory and both earned a point for an escape in their respective 30-second tie-breakers. Trybus, however, scored the match-winning takedown with 18 seconds remaining in the second sudden victory. While it was Trybus’ first dual appearance of the season, it marked his seventh career dual win.
• Also picking up a win in overtime was senior Anthony Cable (184). Cable leveled the match at 1-1 just six seconds into the final period to push it to extra minutes. He persevered with the match-winning takedown with 15 seconds left in sudden victory. It marked just his second career dual win.
• Junior Jared Prince (149) trailed the enitre match before getting his foe, redshirt sophomore Parker Kropman, turned for the pin. Prince is now 10-3 all-time in dual action and 17 of his 61 career victories have been by fall.
• Sophomore Tanner Skidgel (165) wrestled a strong match, but 16th-ranked Ebed Jarrell avoided disaster by scoring a takedown and 4-point nearfall in the final 14 seconds of the match.
More from the Coach
• Jacob Allen came out strong and physical and that set a great tone for the dual meet.
• I was very impressed to see Cody Trybus step up at 141 (having to weigh-in at 133) and come away with a very hard-fought match that made him earn every point and he did. He won that battle on heart and living the championship lifestyle.
• Tanner Skidgel really showed he is competing at another level now and knocking on the door with round of 12 NCAA opponents. I know he’s capable of blowing the door open and when he does, it’s going to be very exciting. He has the fortitude and drive. He got a real taste of the top 15 tonight and I am confident he wants more.
• Jonathan Carrera really stepped up by again weighing in a weight class below and covering the weight for Spencer Carey this week. He wrestled every second and that was what it took to lock up the team score in the dual.
• We have very talented wrestlers and they are finding their stride as we move into February and see championship performance opportunities ahead. Jared Prince came out a little slow, but following the break in action he found his “A” game and went to work. He is very exciting and dynamic, but most impressive is his relentless desire to get the fall.
• Casey Cobb continues to improve and having partners and teammates like Nicholas Gil and Cody Trybus have allowed him to keep getting better every week. He made some adjustments this week in practice and was able to immediately put those skills to work in his bout. He is incredibly hard working and I remain very excited to see his continued growth.
• Cable pushing the match through OT was another match that showed resiliencey and tenacity. He won in OT with position, pace and staying aggressive and that’s the NAVY WAY!
• Thomas Ott and Alex Benoit faced two ranked opponents and it’s what we can learn from these matches and take forward that will be the victory from tonight. Ott showed great fight, but some vulnerability tonight. We will do the work needed to help him get it right! Benoit moved up a weight and that was a talented kid that welcomed him to the EIWA and the physical fight these teams have and bring at you every week.
• 17 Navy wrestlers will be in action on Saturday at the Edinboro Open – Caleb Kelly (125), Aslan Kilic (125), Noah Siriani (125), Logan Treaster (125), Anthony Duca (133), Jonathan Gabriel (141), Jonathan Miranda (141), Adam Davis (149), Chris Hisey (149), Wyatt Long (149), Zach Elvin (157), Scout Skidgel (157), Dillon Taylor (165), Andrew Buckley (174), Hampton Boyd (174), Mike Smith (197) and Riley Smith (285). Links to live scoring and video ($) are available on Flowrestling.com and NavySports.com(.)
• Navy will not be in action next week, rather it will prepare for two duals in four days.
• The Mids will travel to Norfolk, Va. to face Old Dominion on Monday, Feb. 11 (6:30 pm) before returning to Annapolis to wrestle their home finale on Feb. 14 (7:30 pm) against American.
125 | Jacob Allen (NAVY) dec over Antonio Mininno, 9-5 (Navy 3, Drexel 0)
133 | Casey Cobb (NAVY) major dec over Chandler Olson, 10-2 (Navy 7, Drexel 0)
141 | Cody Trybus (NAVY) dec over Nick Widmann, 4-2 sv2 (Navy 10, Drexel 0)
149 | Jared Prince(NAVY) fall over Parker Kropman, 5:25 (Navy 16, Drexel 0)
157 | Quentin Hovis (NAVY) dec over Evan Barczak, 11-4 (Navy 19, Drexel 0)
165 | #16 Ebed Jarrell (NAVY) dec over Tanner Skidgel, 9-4 (Navy 19, Drexel 3)
174 | Jonathan Carrera (NAVY) dec over Bryan McLaughlin, 7-4 (Navy 22, Drexel 3)
184 | Anthony Cable (NAVY) dec over Anthony Walters, 3-1 sv (Navy 25, Drexel 3)
197 | #16 Stephen Loiseau tech fall over Alex Benoit (NAVY), 16-0 (2:28) (Navy 25, Drexel 8)
285 | #17 Joey Goodhart major dec over Thomas Ott (NAVY), 10-1 (Navy 25, Drexel 12)