Millersville, Pa. — The determining factor of the match went down to the 285-pound weight class to find out who claimed the Rupp Cup. The Millersville University wrestling team used a second-half of the lineup push to best Franklin & Marshall 22-21 and gain the Rupp Cup for the first time since the 2009-10 season Wednesday night at Pucillo Gymnasium.
The Diplomats took the 285-pound bout in sudden victory, tying the match up at 21-21, making the decision come down to criteria. It was decided on the third criteria–total amount of team points (pins not including)–where the Marauders held a 32-29 edge. That decision sent Pucillo into a celebration.
• The Marauders cut a 15-point Diplomat advantage and led 21-18 going into the last match at 285. Redshirt senior David Wuestner and Antonio Pelusi, ranked No. 32 in Division I, traded escapes, tying the bout at 1-1 with 1:30 left in the third period. The match could not be decided in regulation, pushing the bout to overtime. Pelusi came out quick and got Wuestner’s leg, earning a final takedown for a 3-1 victory.
• The Marauders won the previous four bouts, starting at 165-pound weight class. No. 3-ranked Shane Ruhnke started the charge by pinning crew Fullerton at the 4:51 mark. Anthony Yacovetti kept the momentum going with a 3-0 win at 174 pounds.
• A crucial turning point for the Marauders came at the 184-pound weight class when junior Evan Morrill went down to the wire in his bout and came out with a 5-4 decision win, cutting the Diplomats’ lead down to 18-14. The match was tied up at 2-2 with two minutes left in the third period. Morrill was able to force his opponent down to the ground which got him a 5-3 lead with 23 seconds left. Red Robilitto earned an escape before the buzzer sounded but neither wrestler held a riding time advantage, giving Morrill the win.
• The Marauders were down 18-15 entering the 197-pound match. Senior Colton Dull and Philip Robilotto were 2-2 in the first minutes of the first period. After an injury timeout, Dull came out with a vengeance, pinning Phillip Robilotto with 39 seconds left.
• The Marauders began the match with a 12-4 victory by freshman Ryan McGuire at 133 pounds. McGuire earned his 18th win of the season and fourth straight.
125: Jose Diaz (F&M) won by forfeit, (F&M, 6-0)
133: Ryan McGuire (VILLE) maj. dec. by Mike Simonetti (F&M), 12-4 (F&M, 6-4)
141: Haroldo Nesbeth (F&M) dec. by Anthony Wiggins (VILLE), 8-6 (F&M, 9-4)
149: Paddy Quinlin (F&M) maj. dec. by D.J. Mele (VILLE), 10-5 (F&M, 11-4)
AFTER 149, UNSPORTSMANSHIP CONDUCT BY F&M, DEDUCTION ONE POINT
157: Cole Aaron (F&M) pin by Rob Saum (VILLE), 1:39 (F&M, 18-3)
165: #3 Shane Ruhnke (VILLE) pin by Crew Fullerton (F&M), 4:51 (F&M, 18-9)
174: Anthony Yacovetti (VILLE) dec. by Jake Conners (F&M), 3-0 (F&M 18-12)
184: Evan Morrill (VILLE) dec. by Reid Robilitto (F&M), 5-4 (F&M, 18-15)
197: Colton Dull (VILLE) pin by Phillip Robilotto (F&M), 0:39 (VILLE, 21-18)
285: #32 Antonio Pelusi (F&M) dec. by David Wuestner (VILLE), SV-1 3-1 (21-21)
FINAL: 3rd Criteria: 32-29 team points.
HEAD COACH KERRY REGNER QUOTES
• “The team had a warrior-like mentality tonight. The warrior doesn’t always win but keeps fighting through adversity and down times and good things happening.”
• “When you are a Marauder and the team puts a performance like that. All you have to say is Marauder Pride. And every Marauder knows what I’m talking about.”
• “It was a school effort. We have the best cheerleaders in the country. Our coaches, administration, student-athletes, students helped us to that win tonight!”
• Ruhnke earned his 20th triumph of the season and 10th pin.
• Millersville scored its most points in a Rupp Cup match-up since its last win in 2010.
• Dull and Morrill now have 10 wins apiece, adding them into a list of four other Marauders who have claimed 10 or more victories this season.
• The Marauders ended the regular season on a high note and now look ahead to the NCAA Division II Super Region 1 Championships on Saturday, Feb. 23, hosted by Mercyhurst University.