Groves: Hopefully We’ll Never Have To Hear From DeGale Again

Share the joy


Former WBA super middleweight champion George Groves has had a smile on his face since Saturday night, when he sat ringside at the O2 Arena in London to watch career rival James DeGale suffer what might have been a career ending defeat at the hands of Chris Eubank Jr.

Eubank Jr. dropped DeGale twice, and dominated most of the fight, to win a twelve round unanimous decision to claim the vacant IBO world title.

Groves handed DeGale the first loss of his career in 2011.

groves-eubank-jr (2)

Groves himself retired from the sport last year, after suffering a knockout loss to Callum Smith in the final bout of the World Boxing Super Series tournament.

He actually defeated Eubank Jr. in the semi-finals un February of the same year.

For years, there was talk of a DeGale vs. Groves rematch, but it never came about. The two heated rivals have often verbally blasted each other in the media.

In the lead-up to last week’s fight, there were reports that Groves was removed from the ITV broadcast team – pursuant to a request from one of the fighters, and Eubank’s team blamed the removal on DeGale. 

“It’s great – my old buddy Eubank, sort of retired my old buddy James DeGale,” Groves said to Sky Sports.

“James DeGale dubbed it the retirement fight so he’s retired and hopefully we will never have to hear from him again.”

As far as himself, Groves – at 30-years-old – has no desire to return to the ring.

“It might be the honeymoon phase who knows but I’m really enjoying retirement right now,” Groves said.

“If anything was going to make me want to fight again I thought it would probably be too old rivals.

“It might have got the blood circulating but it didn’t and I was happy to sit on the side and watch as a fan and long may it continue.”




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *