Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez, who promotes Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, says his boxer will not be pressured to face Gennady Golovkin or any other fighter.
He states that Canelo calls the shots – and he will do a Golovkin trilogy when he feels the time is right.
Canelo and Golovkin has both signed exclusive multi-fight deals with streaming service DAZN.
Canelo was in action last month, when he unified the IBF, WBA, WBC titles with a twelve round unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs.
Last September, Canelo won a twelve round majority decision over Golovkin. And in 2017 they fought to a controversial twelve round split draw.
Golovkin made his DAZN debut earlier this month, and easily blew away overmatched Steve Rolls.
After the fight, he called on the fans to pressure Canelo to do a trilogy fight – that it’s the biggest opportunity for both.
But Canelo’s handlers explain that because their boxer is no longer fighting on pay-per-view, there is no monetary incentive to face Golovkin over anyone else on the table.
Gomez also believes that Golovkin is not exactly the most deserving boxer to get a shot.
In various interviews, Canelo made it clear that Golovkin would have to earn his shot by capturing a world title.
“We’re going to do the third fight when Canelo wants to do it,’’ Gomez told Yahoo Sports on Friday. “Is he interested in it? Of course. But there’s a lot of other fighters he’s interested in, too. There’s no big difference in what he will get paid for a GGG fight than for any other fight.
“Money’s not an issue with Canelo. He wants to make history. Canelo’s in the position that he can pick and choose whoever he wants to fight. There are guys out there that are probably more deserving at this point than Golovkin.”