As previously reported, Anthony Joshua will fight in the United States for the first time when he defends his IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles against Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden on June 1, his promoter announced on Wednesday (Feb 13).
After abandoning plans to fight again at Wembley on April 13, he will instead attempt to muscle in on the US market in which rivals Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have become increasingly influential.
The 29-year-old last fought in September at Wembley, stopping Russia’s Alexander Povetkin in seven rounds.
Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom Sports CEO Eddie Hearn, who has been criticised for the delay in finalising Joshua’s latest fight, said: “AJ has created an incredible ‘Lion’s Den’ atmosphere in the UK and we plan to bring that energy to New York on a card that will be stacked with British v American talent.”
Former super middleweight champion Carl Froch, who fought in the United States against fighters like Jermain Taylor and Andre Ward, believes Joshua is fully capable of making his mark with the United States fans.
“I think it’s the right move for Joshua, especially if he can deliver another devastating knockout win. The Americans will be thinking ‘Wow this is who they’ve been talking about, big AJ from England’. He will have arrived in America, people will have seen him in action, and that applies a bit of pressure on Deontay Wilder to consider negotiations more seriously,” Froch told Sky Sports.
“I believe Joshua can make it a controlled performance of what he’s capable of, with an explosive finish. Miller is a very big heavyweight, but I think Joshua can wear him down and get him out of there. There is the question of whether Miller can get inside Joshua’s head and make him lose the plot? AJ might then go for an all-out war from round one and start swinging away. I think he’d still win, but he could get caught, and it would be even more exciting for those American fans.”