Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya will hold a meeting next week with his superstar fighter, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, to discuss his next career Move.
Canelo was in action last month, when he won a twelve round unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs to unify the WBC, WBA, IBF middleweight world titles.
One boxer in particular, Gennady Golovkin, is gunning for a trilogy fight with Canelo.
Golovkin was in action on Saturday night, when he knocked out Steve Rolls in the fourth round.
He fought Canelo to controversial draw in 2017, and then lost a close majority decision in their 2018 rematch.
But De La Hoya says Golovkin has no leg to stand on, at the moment, to demand a fight with Canelo.
“We’ll make him wait,” De La Hoya said to TMZ. “We’ll see. He’s the B fighter now. Canelo’s the A fighter.”
And De La Hoya is confident that his guy will once again come out on top.
“I think Canelo will knock him out,” De La Hoya said.
Canelo plans to fight in September. There are several options for his comeback.
One of those options is WBO middleweight world champion Demetrius Andrade – if he wins his upcoming defense. There is also a possible return to the super middleweight division to face WBA king Callum Smith.
Golovkin is certainly an option as well, but it appears that Canelo and his handlers are looking at other avenues and will only do that fight under the right terms. Both Canelo and Golovkin have lucrative exclusive agreements with streaming service DAZN.