Alberto Machado Plans For 1-2 More Fights Before Move To 135

Share the joy


By Miguel Rivera

Unbeaten Puerto Rican puncher Alberto “El Explosivo” Machado is looking for bigger things after retaining his “regular” super featherweight title of the World Boxing Association (WBA).

“Right now I am very happy after that great victory on Saturday. I will be here in Puerto Rico to enjoy my family and Christmas. You know,eat rice with pigeon peas and cakes, “said Machado to Jose Bartolomei.

Machado – with a record of 21-0 and 17 knockouts – retained his belt with a crushing first round knockout over Yuandale Evans (20-2, 14 KO’s) at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

machado-evans (8)

At the moment, everything points to the fact that Machado will potentially face Mexico’s Francisco “El Bandido” Vargas (21-1-2, 18 KO’s), who previously held the WBC world title.

“As for boxing, there is still no clear picture. I expect news next week,” Machado added.

“It’s a doable fight since (Vargas) is under Golden Boy Promotions,” said Machado, whose promoter is chaired by former world champion Miguel Cotto.

“It’s a match that I’ve wanted for some time now. Specifically since 2015. It would be a dream come true. I was present when he was crowned world champion at the time. I set a goal to face him and look … now I will give him his chance. It will be another chapter in the rivalry between Puerto Rico and Mexico.”

On the other hand, Machado said that after a conversation with his doctor, Ramón Negrón, he wants to do “one to two more fights” in the super featherweight division.

After that, he will move up to the lightweight division limit of 135-pounds.

“He told me that – at 28 years old – the metabolism is getting slower. He does not want me to sacrifice my body, so I’ll fight one or two more fights. It is reasonable. It is something more physical than anything else,” Machado said.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *